Monday, February 20, 2012

Obesity epidemic in Children

Health Tip: More than twice as many children are overweight now than three decades ago. The problem with being overweight is more than just size; it puts kids at risk for developing chronic illnesses like heart disease, diabetes, and asthma. All parents want their child to be as healthy as possible, but many wonder where to start.

One of the most pressing  health concerns I am seeing is the epidemic of obesity. Even more alarming though, is the fact that this obesity is rising in children. Our children are paying the price for the diet and sedentary lifestyle that we are living as Americans. As mentioned above, according to the National Health Institute, the numbers have practically doubled of obesity in children. So, all this means is that we are seeing diabetes, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol in children now as well.

The good news is that this is something we can all prevent and treat in our home. Staying active and healthy are choices that we can help our children make everyday. While the diet that face our children everyday may not be the best choice, we can make those choices in our home. There are also wonderful programs that can help families as well. A new national education program called We Can!Ways to Enhance Children’s Activities and Nutrition—provides guidance for parents, caregivers, teachers and others who want to help children ages 8-13 maintain a healthy weight.

Of course I know that I am 'preaching to the choir' when I discuss this issue. Since our family moved from Brazil, I have struggled in maintaining a healthy diet that does not consist mostly of processed foods. When you have the options of boxed foods such as mac n cheese , it is challenging to pick the foods that are more time consuming to make. And often these foods cost more as well.

All that being said,I want to leave you with this encouragement. Studies show that more than anything our children will model our eating and exercise habits. As scary as this can be, it can also empower each of us to know that when we are taking care of our individual health we are also taking care of the health of our family. I guess the old adage " do as I say and not as I do" proves to be untrue in raising children. They will do as we do. No surprise there;-)

For me, when I think about raising up a child in the way he should go ( prov22:6), I am challenged to consider the importance of living my own life as the best example. The honor and privilege of raising kids is something none of us would deny, and I hope today's blog helps you take a mental note of the importance of making healthy choices for your children and family--starting with yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment