Thursday, February 9, 2012

What's wrong with caffeine?

Health Tip:  While controversy over the benefits of caffeine remain, it is important to recognize that large amounts of caffeine daily can create dependence, headaches, sleep difficulties, and a host of other health problems. A cup of coffee a day is all the caffeine we should have to maintain optimal health.

My recent trip to the doctor for a well check up was a wake up call for me. My doctor reminded me of the importance of limiting my caffeine intake to help my sleep. I had convinced myself that the caffeine that I drank throughout the day had worked it's way through my system by nighttime. So, I indulged myself in tea, sodas.. and well, a few extra cup of coffee daily. My physician got me thinking about the impact caffeine plays on our day to day lives.

Caffeine has been shown to help us focus. It does create a temporary energy surge, which often gets us through the day. But, that being said, more than a cup of day ( around 200 mg of caffeine), begins to create a dependence. Studies show that it takes about 6-8 hours for caffeine to work through our system. So, that extra glass of ice tea, or coffee at lunch may be whats keepin you up at night. As we get older, our bodies become even more sensitive to caffeine. The best way to think about it is that caffeine and nicotine are 'cousins'. Basically, they are both stimulants. So, for those of us who drink too much caffeine, our bodies become addicted to that stimulant, and thus begins the vicious cycle.

Once again, like everything else in life, it seems that moderation is the key that guides us. Caffeine is not the enemy. A cup in the morning is probably what each of us needs to stimulate our nervous system to get up and go.. But, start drinking more of it throughout the day and it can and will hinder your sleep habits, your moods, and even cause dependence.

I love to think how much self discipline plays a role in our day to day health. From our minds, to our bodies, to our souls.. God requires a daily self discipline for us to experience full health. As I type this to you, I am committing myself to decrease my caffeine intake. As a christian,  I know that the fruit of the Spirit of God in me produces self discipline ( Gal 5:22, 23). SO, in essence- I just have to rely on His strength to help me change my behavior on this- one day at a time!

No comments:

Post a Comment