Saturday, September 17, 2011

Health Tip for Brain health!

Health Tip:

Always trying to learn something new helps prevent Alzheimers and protects cognitive function!



Did you know that God made our minds with a need to be exercised? Well, maybe when we are in grade school, in high school, and even on into college- we realize this is a task we must conquer. And yet, some studies are showing that are minds begin to atrophy ( nice way of saying "shrivel up") when we stop learning. It seems when we get comfortable in our adult lives that we shouldn't get too comfortable.. For example, trying to learn something new is pivotal to our brain's overall health. How about picking up an instrument? How about learning a new language- well, trying anyway? Hmm.. I can hear the expression " You can't teach an old dog new tricks".. and yet, that's exactly what the old dog needs. It's been shown to prevent Alzheimers! Even something as simple learning to write with the other hand.. Hmmm

As I consider this challenge, I think about how as Christians we know everything we do is really for God's glory. I remember in grade school when I didn't feel like studying my best friend would quote 2 TImothy 2:15.. .. Study to show ourselves approved unto God.. I can almost hear her telling me that today .. And so, I pass this on to you.. 

You'll have to humor me, but, my special area of focus as a clinician is geriatrics. A lot of my training has focused on learning what happens to us as we age... And one thing that I am constantly amazed by is how much of what the Bible teaches about basic health principles is confirmed in healthcare through evidence .. Love it!
Hats off to learning something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment