Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How do I know when my child needs antibiotics?

Health Tip:

Most of the time it is difficult to tell the difference between a virus and a bacteria. In general, the first few years of childhood, children spend developing their immune systems. Most of the time they are contracting viruses that their body can combat alone. One key tip is if the fever is low grade (100-102) it can indicate virus. This means, keep your child hydrated ( DRINK, DRINK, DRINK) and you are probably safe to watch and wait a few days. Most viruses are 3-5 days in duration.

I realize in writing this blog I may seem redundant in what I say as a nurse practitioner. The value of hydration can never be overestimated, especially as we raise little ones. Often what causes complications in children's illnesses is that they refuse or don't act interested in drinking when they are sick. Because of this, viruses develop into secondary infections ( ear infections, lung infections, sinus infections, etc).  Keeping that sippy cup full of electrolyte rich liquids is pivotal as your child builds his/her immunity.

I often think about how different it feels when my child is the one who is sick. Everyday I tell mothers that after examining their child I think it is probably a virus, and they should keep their child hydrated and rested. And yet, we all want a prescription to get better. When I see my son has been coughing for days, I lose my patience and want a prescription. I almost giggle thinking how I must take my own advice and watch and wait for him to fight off the virus on his own.

This week I saw a little boy, Tony, in the clinic who had severe speech disabilties. He also had trouble sitting still, and I think he covered every spot in the exam room as I followed him around to look in his ears, nose and throat. His mother responded with such patience and love as she held him for me to give him his flu shot. While Tony made loud noises to communicate, they seemed to understand one another, and she was able to calm him. I was amazed by it all, as she rocked her baby in the stroller at the same time!

As I think about Tony and his mother, it seems that no matter what we do in life , the hardest thing God asks of us is patience. I think of Tony's mother and her patience with Tony. I think of the mothers I care for everyday and the difficulty of being patient in waiting for their children to improve. And, of course, I think of myself and how hard it is for me to just wait for my son's cough to go away.

Love is patient. It's as simple, and as difficult as that. To love means to wait on the people we love. Whether that's careful watchful waiting as our child's immune system fights off a cold, or waiting as we hold a child who cannot communicate with words, or waiting for someone whose going through a difficult time- patience is something we are all called to persevere in together!

No comments:

Post a Comment