Saturday, November 12, 2011

How much can my doctor tell me or my family?

Tip: Your healthcare provider is required to tell you everything you must know related to your condition. Contrary to general consensus, doctors cannot keep 'secrets' from your care legally. Also,if you want to know details of your loved one's condition from the doctor, you must be on the approved listed of people established by your loved one.

It seems that there is common misconception that healthcare providers keep secrets from their patients, or only tell them what they want them to know. One of the most fiercest laws in healthcare today is known as HIPAA, and it basically means that your medical information belongs to you. On the other side of this law, if your information is shared without your consent to ANYONE, it is along the lines of a federal crime.

After having worked overseas for so many years, I think this was the most difficult thing to learn working in healthcare. For example, if I threw away a piece of paper in the 'regular' trash, that contained a patient's address and/or any health info, I was told I could be charged legally as this was a crime. Needless to say, I learned quickly;-)

It is important to recognize this law, and to realize that your healthcare provider is also liable to share with you openly about what is known about your health.

On a personal note, it's sobering to consider how little we know as clinicians. The information we obtain through testing and exams is often inaccurate in the overall picture/prognosis. Just last week my exam had shown that I was expecting, and that things were looking good for a mid first trimester pregnancy. And yesterday morning, the reality was revealed, both to my husband and I and my clinicians. The ultrasound showed a gestation with no baby.

As much as I understand how this happens physiologically, and how common this is; I still had so many questions. Questions which I know the best doctor can't answer. And yet, there is a Physician who knows all the answers to my health, my heart and my prognosis. And HE is not bound by HIPAA laws. His plan for our lives is revealed in His timing, one day at a time. As heavy hearted as I feel as I write this, I have my anchor set in the Physician whose plan and purposes for me and my family cannot be thwarted. I know that no matter what life may hold, He is bound by no laws of nature, and what He purposes to be- will be. This is the anchor that holds me through the storm, and gives me the strength I need to pass this blessed assurance on to others!
" For I know whom I have believed in and am persuaded that HE is able to keep that which I have committed unto HIm" 2 Tim 1: 12

No comments:

Post a Comment