Friday, November 18, 2011

What should my blood pressure be?

Healthcare Tip:   Blood pressure is considered elevated when it regularly reads above 130/90. Whenever you have an elevated BP reading, it is a good idea to write it down twice weekly for a month, and then take that reading to your doctor. If it reads regularly above 130/90 then you should be on a medication.

As Ive mentioned before in this blog, blood pressure is an ongoing concern as it grows to epidemic proportions today. Basically, in all my years of studying and practicing if there's one thing I would tell everyone about their health it is this: KEEP YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE UNDER CONTROL. Heart disease, stroke, and diabetes closely follow higher blood pressure readings. The problem is that you often don't develop these until your blood pressure has been elevated for years. So do what you can, as soon as you can!

This week I have had the chance to be on the other side of healthcare. I had to go in for surgery, and found myself in the vulnerable role of a patient. As clinicians, we can easily forget how humbling this really is. . Our role to provide healthcare gives us the focus we often need to be equipped to care for our patients. And yet, this perspective may often cloud our ability to understand the vulnerable role of a patient.  It’s been a long time that I have been in the patient role for more than a few minutes, and this week I was enlightened into the feelings of the humbling role of a patient. The nurses that took care of me immediatlely put me at ease, and my fears were cast aside quickly. I am truly thankful for the great team that took care of me, and also thankful that I was reminded how important a warm, genuine concern is for each patient that God sends me.

I guess one of the reasons we are often filled with anxiety in hospital and clinic settings is that we feel we are out of control. It was a true eye opener for me this week to be recognize, yet again, how out of control I really am. The truth is that even in making all the right choices to protect our health, we cannot add or take away a day that God has planned for us. This gives me a sense of hope and renewed purpose. In some small sense, God allows us to feel a part of His greater plan for our lives. As I was being wheeled into surgery, I kept thinking of the apostle Paul who affirmed that he " knows WHOM he has believed in" . How very true and comforting it is to know that while the story of our lives may seem to continually change,, the Author has never changed. He doesn't allow an editor.. He is the only one who holds the script. Not a hair on our head goes unnoticed by the God who created us. Now, that my dear friends, should be enough hope to bring down any blood presssure reading- smile;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment