Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Is coffee bad for me?

Healthtip:  Contrary to popular thought, coffee can actually have some positive health benefits, and has recently been shown to reduce the risk of Parkinsons Disease. Using a paper filter can also maximize the health benefit of coffee, as the paper filter removes components that would otherwise increase cholesterol. Like everything, the benefits of coffee are seen in moderate consumption.

As an avid coffee drinker, I am continually amazed at the confusing things I hear about coffee and caffeine in general. So, I thought Id write this tip for those who are in the same conundrum. Coffee actually has its benefits for our health! Of course, being careful not to drink it in excess is important, but, in general, it's not something we should cut out of our diet. And, we all know the warming effects of a cup of coffee can have when shared with a friend!

For those of you who may be skeptical, here's an article that may enlighten you a bit more: http://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2009/August/feature1.htm

It seems to me that so much of life is about maintaing a healthy balance. I am naturally an anxious person, and tend to develop habits of excess, so, I think it's important to remember that almost everything thats good for us, can become detrimental at some point. That is often the confounding factor in research, as it is difficult to determine at what point consuming something like coffee ceases to be beneficial, and actually becomes harmful to our health.

I think of how Scripture speaks about the importance of pursuing the discipline of self-control (2 Peter 1:6). We are not to be mastered by anything but God. I know for myself this is only possible when I stay focused on the disicipline of walking with Him. The more I learn about the world around me, the more I can enjoy it, without worrying about it controlling me. As Christians, we know this is only possible through the strength He can give us! SO, here's to that hot cup of coffee to get your day going!

No comments:

Post a Comment