Friday, November 4, 2011

What's best for a cough?

Health Tip: Guiafenesin is an excellent over the counter cough expressant that can help relieve a mild, irritating cough.

This time a year it seems that most of us will be fighting off a cough in some manner or another. Often, those coughs are just irritating coughs that keep us up at night, and linger for a few days. If the cough is not associated with a fever, or if it hasn't gone past two weeks, then often guiafenesin is an excellent option. This ingredient can be found in Mucinex cough and cold, but is available generically. Obviously, coughs, like most colds, are also best treated with good hydration- you can practically 'wash' a cough away if you drink enough. All this being said, it is important to know that if you have wheezing or a cough that lingers you may need an xray.

Although coughs are usually harmless, and we can often just use the 'watch and wait' approach, at times it's difficult to know if more testing is needed.  As simple as coughs usually are for most, there are those times that a cough is not so simple; such is the unpredictable nature of illness.

As I write this blog, I think about how unpredictable life is as a whole; and how important it is to take one day at a time. As  I treat my patients everyday, I am often astounded at the unpredictable turns their life may take. I have recently discovered this for myself in a very real way.

 What I thought was a mild infection I discovered this week is actually another child on the way. Having a 16 year old and 14 year old means this will be an unexpected 'rewind' for us as a family:) We are growing accustomed to this idea, and getting more excited with each passing day.

I see with each passing day that life is truly an adventure. Whether we are fighting off a cold, or finding out news that changes our life completely ( smile), we can trust in God's plan for our lives.  Its almost like I can hear God whispering Jeremiah 29:11 in my ear as I write this.... He knows the plans He has for each of us.. and if we start each day with that promise, then we can hold on tight and appreciate the adventure He's planned !

No comments:

Post a Comment