Sunday, October 23, 2011

Are immunizations good for my child?

Health Tip:


Immunizations, such as the flu shot, in general protect the lives of our families and community. Immunizations have been shown to be the single best thing we can do to protect our health.

I have heard repeatedly that getting vaccines/immunizations is a growing controversy. For many people, there is a thinking that getting an immunization is exposing them to toxins that will make them dangerously ill.  For example, the flu shot that is currently being given nationwide in the US is avoided by some because of fears which are often unfounded. Many people refuse to get it because they say it makes them sick.

While I realize that we all have our choice to make, I wanted to write a blog from the perspective of a healthcare clinician. When I worked in the jungles of Brazil, I saw children dying of diseases we haven't had to think about for years ; because mass immunization has eradicated the disease.

It is true that immunizations can make a person sick. Usually, the risk is that you may become mildly ill from a shot. Compared to the risk of death of the disease ( pertussis, influenza, etc), it seems like an acceptable risk to get a bit sick from an immunization.  I think that it's easy to take for granted the incredible benefit that immunizations have broughto to our families', our communities and our culture as a whole. As we enter the flu season, I wish that people could see what I see every day: how deathly ill people become with the flu ( 102-104 fevers, chills, aches, etc). The flu makes people as sick as malaria. The difference is that there is an immunization for the flu. The people that become the biggest advocate for the flu shots are people who have had the flu. I have seen that time and again.

I write this blog today for all of us to take a step back and see the value of immunizations, and to do the best we can to protect our health. While it is true that immunizations can make a person sick ( maybe one in twenty), it is usually protecting us from a life threatening illness. While I realize that some may correlate shots with conditions like autism too, this is unsubstantiated. Researchers have investigated this in randomized studies for decades and have validated that this fear is unfounded.

I end with the story of a child I took care of in the jungles of Brazil. Paul was only 18 months old when I was asked to see him for his cough. I soon realized Paul had pertussis. I did what I could for Paul, but, he did not survive his battle with pertussis. I remember his mother pleading with me to obtain the immunization to protect Paul's siblings. With time the indian government agency came and immunized Paul's community.

I will never forget watching Paul's battle with a disease that can be prevented through immunizations, and his mothers plea to help her protect his siblings. As I consider the value of these immunizations, I think about my responsibility to educate people on this. More importantly, I think about how Jesus said " to whom much is given, much is required" Luke 12:48.  To me, this is applied by recognizing that I have great access to not only healthcare, but also an understanding that what I do with my understanding is a responsibility and privilege God gives me.

As far as I am concerned, what we do in healthcare is 'information therapy'. Clinicians pass on the information and best practices advice, and what we all do with that input is up to each of us and our families.

No comments:

Post a Comment